Barcelona says Luis Suarez now 100 percent their man
London: Barcelona has said that the banned Uruguayan striker Luis Suarez is now 100 percent the Spanish club`s player.
A 75 million-pound deal was agreed last week for the Liverpool striker, but the La Liga runners-up are not able to present Suarez to their fans as the Uruguayan is serving a four-month ban from football-related activity for biting Italian defender Giorgio Chiellini during the World Cup.
According to the BBC, Barca director of sport Andoni Zubizarreta said that Suarez is 100 percent a member of the club.
The striker would be ineligible to play for Barca or even to train with his teammates until late October, unless the appeal lodged with the Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas) is successful.
Zubizarreta believes that the former Ajax forward would be a positive acquisition and said that the club accepts people, imperfections and all, adding that he is sure that Suarez would be someone positive for them in the future.
Suarez`s ban was the biggest in World Cup history, eclipsing the eight-game suspension given to Italy`s Mauro Tassotti for elbowing Spain`s Luis Enrique, who is currently Barca boss, in 1994.
Enrique said that Suarez not being able to train with them for four months has not altered their plans because they always knew it, adding that it is bad that the striker is not with them from the start, but it is not a tragedy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- PMO seeks report on Air India flights delayed by Fadnavis, Rijiju; Aviation Minister apologises
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army