Barcelona to announce Tito Vilanova exit
Spain: Tito Vilanova is set to leave Barcelona on health grounds with immediate effect, Goal understands.
Vilanova is believed to have suffered a relapse of his cancer and his departure will be announced at a press conference later on Friday.
Tito worked as an assistant to Pep Guardiola at Barca B and then for four successful seasons between 2008 and 2012, before stepping up to replace his long-time friend last summer.
Vilanova led Barca to La Liga in his sole season in charge as the Catalans equalled Real Madrid`s record of 100 points in the Primera Division, but he was absent for two months of the campaign after suffering a relapse.
Tito appeared tired and haggard as he appeared before the media last week and will now take time out to recover once again, although sources at the club have not ruled out a return in future.
In the meantime, Jordi Roura and former Girona coach Rubi (who was appointed at the beginning of this month) are likely to take over the reins, although Barca will study the possibility of appointing a top-level trainer over the next few weeks.
The press conference is scheduled for 20:30 CET.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq