Barcelona to announce Tito Vilanova exit
Spain: Tito Vilanova is set to leave Barcelona on health grounds with immediate effect, Goal understands.
Vilanova is believed to have suffered a relapse of his cancer and his departure will be announced at a press conference later on Friday.
Tito worked as an assistant to Pep Guardiola at Barca B and then for four successful seasons between 2008 and 2012, before stepping up to replace his long-time friend last summer.
Vilanova led Barca to La Liga in his sole season in charge as the Catalans equalled Real Madrid`s record of 100 points in the Primera Division, but he was absent for two months of the campaign after suffering a relapse.
Tito appeared tired and haggard as he appeared before the media last week and will now take time out to recover once again, although sources at the club have not ruled out a return in future.
In the meantime, Jordi Roura and former Girona coach Rubi (who was appointed at the beginning of this month) are likely to take over the reins, although Barca will study the possibility of appointing a top-level trainer over the next few weeks.
The press conference is scheduled for 20:30 CET.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security?
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part II
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part III
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part IV
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part V
- Madhya Pradesh's suspended Dalit IAS officer seeks permission to die
- HDFC approves amalgamation of 5 subsidiaries into itself
- Maharashtra petrol retailers to agitate against 'no helmet-no fuel' rule
- Apple given relaxation in sourcing for first three years: Govt
- Tamil Nadu moves SC for review of verdict in CBI probed cases