Barcelona will overcome the loss of Pep Guardiola: Lionel Messi
Barcelona: Lionel Messi is confident that Barcelona will be able to cope with the departure of coach Pep Guardiola.
The 41-year-old is set to leave Camp Nou after a successful four-year stint in charge of the Blaugrana to take a sabbatical from football.
With 14 titles under his belt since taking over the reins in 2008, Guardiola is the most successful coach in Barca`s history and has earned widespread praise for his work with the Catalans.
But Messi believes that Tito Vilanova will be able to steer the club to success and stressed that he did not consider the possibility of following Guardiola out of Camp Nou.
"I am more than happy at Barcelona and I never thought about switching clubs," he said.
"I am not leaving.”
"We will overcome Guardiola`s exit and we hope that everything will continue to be the same with Tito, who has the same philosophy and mentality.”
"Guardiola and Tito did everything together during these years and I do not think that our everyday work will change much.”
"Tito`s personality is obviously different, but we will adapt to it and we hope that the results will be similar."
The three-time Ballon d`Or winner then shared his emotions when he learned about Guardiola`s departure shortly after watching the club bow out in the Champions League and lose the league title to arch-rivals Real Madrid.
"Yes, it was a very hard week: losing La Liga, the Champions League and Guardiola in the same week was a heavy blow," Messi explained.
"Guardiola`s exit is a blow because we were lucky enough to win everything under him and to teach the world how to play a different game.”
"But we have to accept his decision because this is what he wanted."
Guardiola`s tenure ended with a Copa del Rey triumph in late May following a 3-0 win over Athletic Bilbao in the final.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range