Barcelona win 22nd La Liga title
Barcelona: Barcelona have been crowned La Liga champions for the 2012-13 season thanks to Real Madrid`s 1-1 draw against Espanyol.
Jose Mourinho`s side went into the clash at Cornella-El Prat knowing that they had to win to prolong their rivals` title celebrations but could only muster a 1-1 draw, with Gonzalo Higuain cancelling out Christian Stuani`s opener.
The title success is the 22nd in the Catalan giants` 113-year history and their fourth in the last five seasons after relinquishing their grip on the championship to Real Madrid last term.
Ahead of the Vicente Calderon to face Atletico Madrid on Sunday, Barca have 88 points, 12 short of equalling Madrid`s record tally of 100, which they set last year.
Los Blancos, meanwhile, have 81 and just two games to spare, meaning they cannot overhaul the Liga leaders.
Club president Sandro Rosell wrote on Twitter: "It`s very special, the reward for the effort, the spirit and perseverance of a remarkable group of people."
Tito Vilanova`s troops have netted 105 goals after 34 games, 20 short of the best-ever total and have lost just two games, against Real Sociedad and Real Madrid.
They are unbeaten on home soil this term in La Liga, but were eliminated from the Copa del Rey by Madrid and the Champions League by Bayern Munich.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing