Barcelona yet to discuss new contract with Messi
Barcelona: Andoni Zubizarreta has cleared up speculation regarding a possible renewal of Lionel Messi`s Barcelona contract by insisting that no negotiations have taken place yet.
The Argentine superstar`s current deal expires in 2016 and he has repeatedly stated his desire to see out the remainder of his career at the club, but the former Spain international goalkeeper revealed that talks regarding an extension are yet to begin.
"We have not talked about contractual issues with Messi. When the time comes, we will talk, but not in public," Zubizaretta said in a press conference.
However, Barca vice-president Josep Maria Bartomeu left the door open for potential negotiations in the near future by stating that no one associated with the club wants to see Messi leave.
"I don`t know a single person of Barcelona, member or fan, who doesn`t want to see Lionel Messi ending his career wearing this shirt."
The 25-year-old has continued on his scintilating form from last season with four goals in the Blaugrana`s first three Liga matches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre