Barcelona’s Champions League exit prospect worries Del Bosque
Rio de Janeiro: Spain coach Vicente del Bosque has expressed concern at the prospect of Barcelona`s Champions League exit at the hands of Italian giants AC Milan.
Barcelona will enter Tuesday`s round-of-16 second leg at the Camp Nou needing to bounce back from a 0-2 deficit from last month`s first leg at the San Siro.
Speaking on the eve of the Laureus World Sports Awards here Sunday, Del Bosque admitted Tuesday`s result could affect Spain`s preparation for June`s Confederations Cup in Brazil.
"On Tuesday and Wednesday there will be very important games for Barcelona and Malaga (against Porto)," Del Bosque said. "These results will have a significant impact on the national team because if Barcelona is eliminated the players` confidence will be hit."
"It`s going to be difficult but I think they can do it. It`s important that they progress like Real Madrid did against Manchester United because Barcelona is the base of our national team."
Del Bosque will on Friday announce his squad for Spain`s World Cup qualifiers against Finland on March 22 and France three days later.
He revealed his satisfaction at Spain`s grip on the FIFA world No.1 ranking, ahead of Germany, Argentina, England and Italy.
"It has been a six-year trajectory and is something that we are all very proud of," the 62-year-old said.
Del Bosque`s side, which won the 2012 European Championship, will compete for the Laureus best team award with the Chinese men`s table tennis outfit, Europe`s Ryder Cup golf team, the NBA`s Miami Heat and Formula One`s Red Bull.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list