Barreto plays his swansong match for Mohun Bagan tomorrow
Kolkata: It will be a very emotional moment for Jose Ramirez Barreto when he leads Mohun Bagan for one last time as he ends his 13-year-long association with the Indian club after the I-League match against Pune FC, on Sunday.
The club has arranged a grand valedictory function for the player as he along with his family will be taken around the Yuba Bharati Krirangan stadium in an open jeep and will be felicitated by sports minister Madan Mitra.
Barreto joined the club back in 1999 and except for two seasons with Penang FA of Malaysia in 2004-05 and Mahindra United in 2005-06, the 35-year-old has donned the green-and-maroon jersey.
"I believe this is not the end of the marriage (between me and Mohun Bagan). God willing, I can return to the club, may be at a different time and with a different job," an emotional Barreto said.
"I had a very good time with the club in the 10 seasons I have spent here. This was an occasion for which I was not prepared but I can say that it has always been a pleasure to be with Mohun Bagan.
"I am not retiring from football," Barreto, who is reportedly in talks with Bhowanipore Club for the Calcutta Football League premier division next season, said.
The match will also be significant for Mohun Bagan`s hope of finishing in top three as a win would give them an outside chance.
The visitors will be on a high after their 2-0 win over last year`s champions Salgaocar in the previous match that has ensured them the team is in a race to finish runners-up.
Before the last round match, Pune FC have 46 points to be on the third place, two points clear of Mohun Bagan who lie on the fifth position on the table.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range