Bayer Leverkusen beats Kaiserslautern 2-0
Berlin: Michael Ballack scored against his former club in a 2-0 Bundesliga win for Bayer Leverkusen at Kaiserslautern on Friday, one day after criticizing his current teammates for a lack of ambition.
Kevin Trapp’s mistake allowed Ballack to score in the 54th minute, when the former Germany captain shot straight at the Kaiserslautern goalkeeper from 20 yards (meters), only to see the ball slip through Trapp’s fingers and into the net.
“Of course I’m sorry for the team. Mistakes happen. We go on,” Trapp said. “I’ve to get it out of my head as soon as possible.”
Another former Kaiserslautern player, Sidney Sam, made the game safe in the 70th, when Lars Bender picked out the unmarked Leverkusen winger to score with a low shot.
“I always score against Kaiserslautern for some reason,” said Sam after scoring his fourth goal against the club. “It can continue.”
Dorge Rostand Kouemaha and Konstantinos Fortounis missed early chances for the home side, before Ballack did likewise, while Trapp later atoned for his error with saves from Bender, Stefan Kiessling and Stefan Reinartz.
Ballack, who played with a protective mask after breaking his nose three weeks ago, has never lost in 14 games played against the club with which he made his Bundesliga debut in 1997.
“It was a masterful win,” Ballack said. “We should have scored one or two goals early on—especially me.”
The 35-year-old said Thursday he did not expect to renew his Leverkusen contract, which expires at the end of the season, before describing the club as a “sort of land of milk and honey.”
Leverkusen—which hosts Ballack’s previous club Chelsea in the Champions League on Wednesday—climbs to sixth while Kaiserslautern remains 12th ahead of the weekend’s games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door