Bayern beat Frankfurt, Kaiserslautern crush Schalke 5-0
Berlin: Champions Bayern Munich beat Eintracht Frankfurt 4-1 courtesy of some bad goalkeeping on Saturday to climb up to fifth place on 23 points from 14 games in the Bundesliga.
Frankfurt keeper Oka Nikolov twice failed to hold on to long-range shots in the space of two minutes, allowing Thomas Mueller and Mario Gomez to score on the rebound and seal a victory that will give coach Louis van Gaal some respite.
Anatoliy Tymoshchuk, who added a fourth late on, had given them a 29th minute lead before Bundesliga top scorer Fanis Gekas levelled four minutes later with his 12th goal of the season with Bayern’s back line again looking out of sorts.
Bayer Leverkusen squandered a two-goal lead and conceded a stoppage time penalty to allow Gylfi Sigurdsson to level 2-2 for Hoffenheim, missing the chance to close in on second-placed Mainz 05, who beat Nuremberg 3-0 on Friday.
Leverkusen stayed in third place on 26 points, four behind Mainz.
Leaders Borussia Dortmund, on 34, are in action against bottom-placed Borussia Moenchengladbach later on Saturday.
Hanover 96 continued their spectacular season, beating Freiburg 3-0 to remain fourth, a point off Leverkusen, while Schalke 04 slumped to a 5-0 defeat at Kaiserslautern, only three days after they advanced in the Champions League.
Schalke are stuck in 15th spot, two points of the relegation zone on 13 points.
Hamburg SV beat 10-men VfB Stuttgart 4-2, ending a two-game losing streak and substitute Ruud van Nistlerooy netting his fifth goal of the season, to move up to seventh on 21 points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!