Bayern CEO says Franck Ribery won't be banned

 German football club Bayern Munich's CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge was surprised to hear UEFA president Michel Platini's statement that Franck Ribery could be banned for three matches if he refuses to play for France despite his retirement last month.

IANS| Updated: Sep 09, 2014, 14:54 PM IST
Bayern CEO says Franck Ribery won't be banned

Paris: German football club Bayern Munich's CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge was surprised to hear UEFA president Michel Platini's statement that Franck Ribery could be banned for three matches if he refuses to play for France despite his retirement last month.

The former German international told German daily Bild Monday that the problem's solved, reports Xinhua. 

"It's all been resolved," he said. "He won't be called up again!"

Ribery, 31, withdrew from Didier Deschamps' World Cup squad this summer due to a back injury before he announced in August his retirement from Les Bleus to focus on serving the German Bundesliga side.

Platini, however, said it's not up to the player whether he can quit international duty, suggesting a three-match ban if Ribery turns down a call-up from the French national team citing a FIFA rule.

"Everything is in order and is according to FIFA rules," responded Rummenigge. "(Bayern full-back) Philipp Lahm has spoken with (Germany coach) Joachim Low regarding his retirement from the national team and Ribery has done the same with Deschamps."