Bayern do not need Lewandowski: Beckenbauer
Munich: Bayern Munich legend Franz Beckenbauer has warned the club that they do not need to sign Borussia Dortmund forward Robert Lewandowski, amid rumours linking him with a move to the Allianz Arena.
The Bavarians currently have Mario Mandzukic, Mario Gomez and Claudio Pizarro as options up front, and the former Germany coach feels they have no need for another striker.
"Actually, it`s not really necessary," the 67-year-old told Sky Germany.
"A big transfer doesn`t make any sense to me. When I look at the current squad, I notice that on every position Bayern have two, if not three options.
"Of course I would take Lewandowski. However, assuring him that he`s guaranteed to play could be difficult."
Beckenbauer went on to say that Dortmund will push Bayern harder than any other team that they have faced of late in their DFB-Pokal clash on Wednesday.
"I think this will be the biggest challenge in months, with all due respect to Arsenal, of course."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed