Bayern held to 1-1 draw by Monchengladbach
Berlin: Monchengladbach held German football league leaders Bayern Munich to a 1-1 draw in the opener of the 17th round of Bundesliga.
Monchengladbach opened the scoring against the run of play but Bayern Munich`s Xherdan Shaqiri was able to level the score Friday, reports Xinhua.
From the kickoff the front-runners Bayern Munich controlled the match against the visitors.
The visitors took the lead when Bayern`s Jerome Boateng was penalized for a handball inside the box. Thorben Marx stepped up and converted the penalty successfully into the right corner to break the dead lock with 21 minutes into the match.
Nevertheless the hosts remained unfazed and pressed Monchengladbach into defence.
After the break Bayern Munich frenetically pressed for the leveller but goalkeeper Marc Andre ter Stegen made superb saves to maintain the lead for his side.
Finally, with 59 minutes played, the German record champions overcame Monchengladbach`s defence, when Thorben Marx lost ball possession in his own box to see Xherdan Shaqiri beating ter Stegen from very close range.
Monchengladbach climb to 6th position with 25 points whereas Bayern Munich occupy first position with 42 points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender