Bayern, Monchengladbach enter Telekom Cup final
Berlin: German giant Bayern Munich outclassed Hamburg 4-0 while Monchengladbach defeated Dortmund due to a late penalty to advance into the final of Telekom Cup.
Monchengladbach on Saturday grabbed a late winner against dominant but inefficient Dortmund to secure a final berth, reports Xinhua.
Juergen Klopp`s men controlled things from the kick-off but were unable to turn their opportunities into tangible reward although Monchengladbach goalkeeper Marce Andre ter Stegen made some great saves for the home side. It looked like the penalty shootout had to bring the decision as the `Foals` staged a well-positioned defence.
However, Dortmund keeper Weidenfeller fouled Monchengladbach`s Raffael after an unlucky return pass to cause a penalty in the dying minutes of the match. Thus, Filip Daems converted the penalty to secure the final against Bayern Munich meanwhile Dortmund face Hamburg for the third place Sunday.
The Bavarians cruised into the final as they overran Hamburg 4-0 to point the way for the upcoming season under new coach Pep Guardiola. Bayern seized the reins and broke the deadlock with 12 minutes into the match when former Hamburg defender Jerome Boateng slotted home a follow up shot from close range.
Hamburg`s new arrival Jacques Zoua came close after a cross but Bayern`s substitute keeper Tom Starke was on his guard. Hamburg were unable to threat Bayern`s defence and the German record champions doubled the lead through Mario Mandzukic following a combination by Franck Ribery and new signing Thiago Alcantara.
Toni Kroos and Thomas Mueller added their names to the scoreboard to complete a 4-0 win over hapless Hamburg.
The Telekom Cup is a warm-up tournament three weeks ahead of the Bundesliga opener which starts Aug 9.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!
- After Azhar, Harbhajan Singh visits Navjot Singh Sidhu in hospital!