Bayern Munich end year with Club World Cup trophy
Marrakech: Bayern Munich resisted the pressure of fanatic home crowds and beat the host side Raja Casablanca 2-0 Saturday to win the FIFA Club World Cup for the first time.
Dante and Thiago`s quickfire shots just after 22 minutes helped the reigning European, Bundesliga and German Cup, Super Cup champions pass the test of the dark horse, claiming their fifth trophy in a harvest year of 2013, reported Xinhua.
Raja Casablanca, who owe their play-off place as the host team thanks to their 2012/13 Moroccan league championship win, stunned a series of big teams before finishing the second place, which is the best result for an African club in this event.
The dubbed Green Eagles won the play-off match to quarter-final by a last-gasp 2-1 victory over Auckland City FC, the Oceania kings. Then they rallied to upset Monterrey and Atletico Mineiro in a row to book the final meet with Bayern.
The Raja fans also impressed the tournament with their passionate supports in the always green-colour-packed stadiums behind their team.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?