Bayern Munich end year with Club World Cup trophy
Marrakech: Bayern Munich resisted the pressure of fanatic home crowds and beat the host side Raja Casablanca 2-0 Saturday to win the FIFA Club World Cup for the first time.
Dante and Thiago`s quickfire shots just after 22 minutes helped the reigning European, Bundesliga and German Cup, Super Cup champions pass the test of the dark horse, claiming their fifth trophy in a harvest year of 2013, reported Xinhua.
Raja Casablanca, who owe their play-off place as the host team thanks to their 2012/13 Moroccan league championship win, stunned a series of big teams before finishing the second place, which is the best result for an African club in this event.
The dubbed Green Eagles won the play-off match to quarter-final by a last-gasp 2-1 victory over Auckland City FC, the Oceania kings. Then they rallied to upset Monterrey and Atletico Mineiro in a row to book the final meet with Bayern.
The Raja fans also impressed the tournament with their passionate supports in the always green-colour-packed stadiums behind their team.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cloudbursts, rainfall in Tehri district of Uttarakhand; Gangotri-Kedarnath road closed, pilgrims stranded
- WATCH HIGHLIGHTS: Real Madrid vs Atletico Madrid - UEFA Champions League final
- Daniel Craig 'exhausted' from playing James Bond
- Narendra Modi government failed to create jobs, aid agriculture: Congress
- Daniel Craig 'exhausted' from playing James Bond says Judi Dench