Bayern Munich extend lead in German Bundesliga
Berlin: German champions Bayern Munich worked out a 2-0 win over courageous Wolfsburg to establish an 18-point gap on top for now, at the opener of the 22nd round of Bundesliga football.
Front runners Bayern wrapped up their 18th win of the season and the fifth straight win in 2013 as Mario Mandzukic and substitute Arjen Robben donated one goal each Friday.
Both sides staged a distracted opening period, as the teams were unable to implement their rhythm to the match.
Nonetheless, Bayern controlled the proceedings on the pitch unable to turn their dominance into a tangible reward against Wolfsburg that lurked for dangerous counter attacks. Still both goalkeepers remained untested for nearly 30 minutes.
A set piece situation at the 36th minute, by the Bavarians, ensured the first goal of the match.
Toni Kross`s cross to the back post found Bastian Schweinsteiger who nodded into the path of Mandzukic who beat Wolfsburg goalie Diego Benaglio with a overhead kick from inside the box.
The "Wolves" staged a dedicated performance but they remained harmless in front of Bayern`s goal area. Only Diego Ribas da Cunha had the opportunity to restore parity with a dangerous free kick at the 77th minute but Bayern goalkeeper Manuel Neuer denied the score with a save.
At the closing period courageous Wolfsburg frenetically pressed for the equalizer but it were again the Bavarians that scored clinically at the other end of the pitch.
Bayern substitute and Dutchmen Arjen Robben utilised a through ball with all time and space to hammer home from inside the box to seal the deal at the 90th minute.
"We staged a good performance but to beat Bayern Munich you need a very good performance," Wolfsburg coach Dieter Hecking said.
The following fixtures are scheduled for Saturday: third positioned Leverkusen host bottom side Augsburg, Bremen see Freiburg, Mainz face struggling Schalke, Hamburg meet Monchengladbach, newly promoted Dusseldorf encounter bottom side Greuther Fuerth and defending champions Dortmund clash stunner team Frankfurt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM