Bayern Munich extend lead in German Bundesliga
Berlin: German champions Bayern Munich worked out a 2-0 win over courageous Wolfsburg to establish an 18-point gap on top for now, at the opener of the 22nd round of Bundesliga football.
Front runners Bayern wrapped up their 18th win of the season and the fifth straight win in 2013 as Mario Mandzukic and substitute Arjen Robben donated one goal each Friday.
Both sides staged a distracted opening period, as the teams were unable to implement their rhythm to the match.
Nonetheless, Bayern controlled the proceedings on the pitch unable to turn their dominance into a tangible reward against Wolfsburg that lurked for dangerous counter attacks. Still both goalkeepers remained untested for nearly 30 minutes.
A set piece situation at the 36th minute, by the Bavarians, ensured the first goal of the match.
Toni Kross`s cross to the back post found Bastian Schweinsteiger who nodded into the path of Mandzukic who beat Wolfsburg goalie Diego Benaglio with a overhead kick from inside the box.
The "Wolves" staged a dedicated performance but they remained harmless in front of Bayern`s goal area. Only Diego Ribas da Cunha had the opportunity to restore parity with a dangerous free kick at the 77th minute but Bayern goalkeeper Manuel Neuer denied the score with a save.
At the closing period courageous Wolfsburg frenetically pressed for the equalizer but it were again the Bavarians that scored clinically at the other end of the pitch.
Bayern substitute and Dutchmen Arjen Robben utilised a through ball with all time and space to hammer home from inside the box to seal the deal at the 90th minute.
"We staged a good performance but to beat Bayern Munich you need a very good performance," Wolfsburg coach Dieter Hecking said.
The following fixtures are scheduled for Saturday: third positioned Leverkusen host bottom side Augsburg, Bremen see Freiburg, Mainz face struggling Schalke, Hamburg meet Monchengladbach, newly promoted Dusseldorf encounter bottom side Greuther Fuerth and defending champions Dortmund clash stunner team Frankfurt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill