Bayern Munich suffer first league defeat in 54 matches
Berlin: Bayern Munich suffered their first Bundesliga defeat since October 2012 on Saturday as their record 53-match unbeaten league run was ended in a 1-0 defeat at Augsburg.
Coach Pep Guardiola named a weakened team for the Bavarian derby and paid the price as Bayern were beaten for the first time the league since losing 2-1 at home to Bayer Leverkusen on October 28, 2012.
With one eye on Wednesday`s Champions League quarter-final clash at home to Manchester United, with the tie level at 1-1, Guardiola started with three teenagers, giving Bundesliga debuts to wing-backs Ylli Sallahi and Mitchell Weiser while Pierre-Emile Hoejbjerg was named on the left wing.
The gamble backfired when Weiser lost possession to Augsburg`s Daniel Baier who fed Sascha Moelders and the Augsburg striker blasted his shot past Manuel Neuer with 31 minutes gone to claim the winning goal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Hafiz Saeed's son-in-law masterminded terror attack on CRPF convoy in Pampore: Report
- Lionel Messi retirement: Argentine president, Diego Maradona ask him not to quit
- Global stocks extend losses, sterling near 30-year lows in Brexit aftermath
- Gunbattle breaks out between security forces, militants in J&K's Kupwara
- American Senator wants US to stop issuing visas to Indians