Bayern Munich win 23rd German Bundesliga title
Berlin: Bayern Munich celebrated their 23rd title following a 3-0 win over Augsburg`s while Marco Reus ensured Dortmund a 3-3 draw at Wolfsburg to close the 33rd round in Bundesliga.
The German giants received the Bundesliga trophy Saturday after they already sealed the championships race at the 28th round.
Relegation threatened Augsburg were on par with Bayern over long periods but with 69 minutes into the game the German record champions opened the scoring.
Augsburg staged a courageous performance against Bayern but with the opener by Thomas Mueller at the 69th minute the visitors` resistance were broken as Xherdan Shaqiri and Luis Gustavo extended the lead to 3-0.
The win moved front-runners Bayern on 28 victories and 88 points out of 33 matches to set another record in 50 years of Bundesliga history. Even their rivals Borussia Dortmund have a 22-point gap to trail on second place.
Augsburg go into the last match with 30 points sitting on a relegation play off spot, still with the chance to remain in first division.
Second placed Dortmund carved out a 3-3 draw at Wolfsburg thanks to the brace by Marco Reus at the closing period.
Dortmund caught a bright start as Sven Bender headed home a cross for the opener at the 5th minute. Wolfsburg responded nine minutes later with the equalizer when Ivan Perisic slotted home at the far post against his former club. Perisic was not done with the scoring as he brought his side the 2-1 lead at the 23rd minute.
Wolfsburg`s Naldo made it 3-1 on the scoreboards when he hammered home following a corner at the 26th minute.
Leverkusen destroyed UEFA Europa League hopes of Hannover following a 3-1 win.
However, Leverkusen extended the point gap to 10 over fourth placed Schalke meanwhile Hannover sit on ninth position.
Fourth placed Schalke lost 2-1 to Stuttgart to jeopardise their UEFA Champions League play off spot.
Schalke need a win next season at Freiburg to ensure Champions League qualification next season. Freiburg came from behind to shock relegated Greuther Fuerth 2-1 thanks to the winner by Max Kruse.
Bremen remain in first division for next season thanks to the 1-1 draw against newly promoted Frankfurt.
lsewhere, Hamburg crushed Hoffenheim 4-1 to diminish their hopes of staying up in Bundesliga.
Monchengladbach edged Mainz 4-2 thanks to the hat rick by youngster Branimir Hrgota and Nuremberg turned around against relegation threatened Dusseldorf to win 2-1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Sarbananda Sonowal takes charge as Assam’s first BJP CM, PM Modi attends his swearing-in
- Desperate times, desperate measures! Parineeti Chopra's make-up ain’t gonna stop – See pic
- IPL 9 VIDEO: When Shikhar Dhawan, Yuvraj Singh became Gabbar and taxi driver
- First Talgo train trial on Bareilly-Moradabad rail route on May 29
- Rahul Gandhi to lead rally against AAP, BJP over Delhi power crisis