Bayern Munich win 23rd German Bundesliga title
Berlin: Bayern Munich celebrated their 23rd title following a 3-0 win over Augsburg`s while Marco Reus ensured Dortmund a 3-3 draw at Wolfsburg to close the 33rd round in Bundesliga.
The German giants received the Bundesliga trophy Saturday after they already sealed the championships race at the 28th round.
Relegation threatened Augsburg were on par with Bayern over long periods but with 69 minutes into the game the German record champions opened the scoring.
Augsburg staged a courageous performance against Bayern but with the opener by Thomas Mueller at the 69th minute the visitors` resistance were broken as Xherdan Shaqiri and Luis Gustavo extended the lead to 3-0.
The win moved front-runners Bayern on 28 victories and 88 points out of 33 matches to set another record in 50 years of Bundesliga history. Even their rivals Borussia Dortmund have a 22-point gap to trail on second place.
Augsburg go into the last match with 30 points sitting on a relegation play off spot, still with the chance to remain in first division.
Second placed Dortmund carved out a 3-3 draw at Wolfsburg thanks to the brace by Marco Reus at the closing period.
Dortmund caught a bright start as Sven Bender headed home a cross for the opener at the 5th minute. Wolfsburg responded nine minutes later with the equalizer when Ivan Perisic slotted home at the far post against his former club. Perisic was not done with the scoring as he brought his side the 2-1 lead at the 23rd minute.
Wolfsburg`s Naldo made it 3-1 on the scoreboards when he hammered home following a corner at the 26th minute.
Leverkusen destroyed UEFA Europa League hopes of Hannover following a 3-1 win.
However, Leverkusen extended the point gap to 10 over fourth placed Schalke meanwhile Hannover sit on ninth position.
Fourth placed Schalke lost 2-1 to Stuttgart to jeopardise their UEFA Champions League play off spot.
Schalke need a win next season at Freiburg to ensure Champions League qualification next season. Freiburg came from behind to shock relegated Greuther Fuerth 2-1 thanks to the winner by Max Kruse.
Bremen remain in first division for next season thanks to the 1-1 draw against newly promoted Frankfurt.
lsewhere, Hamburg crushed Hoffenheim 4-1 to diminish their hopes of staying up in Bundesliga.
Monchengladbach edged Mainz 4-2 thanks to the hat rick by youngster Branimir Hrgota and Nuremberg turned around against relegation threatened Dusseldorf to win 2-1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- First Minister Nicola Sturgeon plans EU future for Scotland after Brexit
- Seven hospitalized in California stabbing at neo-Nazi rally
- I respect martyrdom but you're trained to kill enemy, not to die - Manohar Parrikar told jawans
- Pampore attack: Did CRPF ignore specific intelligence input from Jammu and Kashmir Police?
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal