Bayern Munich win, Dortmund stumble
Berlin: League leaders Bayern Munich humiliated Schalke 4-0 to extend their gap atop the standings to 15 points as Hamburg thrashed Borussia Dortmund 4-1 in the 21st round of the German Bundesliga.
The "Bavarians" dominated Schalke in every department of the game straight from the kick off.
Bayern opened the scoring through David Alaba who converted a penalty following a foul play by Marco Hoeger inside the box, 19 minutes into the match.
Bayern dictated the proceeding on the pitch as Bastian Schweinsteiger doubled the lead with a free-kick goal.
Schalke were incapable of keeping up with the German record champions and Alaba sealed his brace after an assist by Gomez six minutes into second half.
Bayern were not done with the scoring as Gomez made it 4-0 at the 63rd minute to seal the deal ahead of time against helpless Schalke.
Schalke drop from sixth to ninth position with 29 points.
Hamburg surprisingly crushed Dortmund 4-1 to inflict on them their fourth loss of the season. The "Rothosen" started highly motivated into the match whereas Dortmund needed some time to gain a foothold into the match.
Still it was Dortmund that had the chance to break the deadlock through youngster Mario Goetze who shot just wide of the post from inside the box, with 15 minutes played. His teammate Robert Lewandowski though capitalised on a black out by Hamburg`s Heiko Westermann, to slot home the opener on home soil.
Hamburg answered a minute later when a combination by Marcell Jansen via Dennis Aogo found Artjoms Rudnevs inside the box, who tapped in from close range.
With 26 minutes into the match Hamburg grabbed the lead through Heung Min Son following a solo run and goal. The South Korean shrugged off defender Mats Hummels to curl home into the top far post corner.
Dortmund`s situation worsened in the 31st minute as Polish international Lewandowski was sent off with a straight red card following a foul on Per Ciljan Skjelbred.
Rudnevs made it 3-1 on the scoreboard to seal his brace, after he nodded home a cross by Rafael van der Vaart at the 62nd minute while Heung Min Son tapped in an assist by Marcell Jansen to mark the final 4-1 score.
Hamburg jump from ninth to fifth position with 31 points whilst Dortmund stay in second position with 39 points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery