Bayern Munich win Telekom Cup final
Berlin: German record champions Bayern Munich celebrated a 5-1 goal festival against Monchengladbach at the Telekom Cup final.
Record-breaking treble winner Bayern secured their first title three weeks ahead of the Bundesliga opener when they crushed home side Monchengladbach, reports Xinhua.
The "Foals" caught the better start at the final of the warm up tournament but as soon as the Bavarians gained a foothold into the match things changed. The German giant broke the deadlock to score three goals within nine minutes.
Frenchmen Franck Ribery opened the scoring with a volley, Philipp Lahm doubled the lead soon after and new arrival Thiago Alcantara tapped in a cross from very close range to triple the lead.
The hosts were able to reduce the lead to 1-3 as Luuk de Jong converted a penalty following a foul play by Bayern`s Diego Contento inside the box, just before the break.
Bayern regained the upper hand in the second half as Arjen Robben and Thomas Mueller added their names to the scoresheet.
Elsewhere, Borussia Dormund overcame Hamburg 1-0, thanks to the winner by Jonas Hofmann, to win the third place match.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why