Bayern says ‘no interest’ in signing ‘declining’ Rooney
London: With his time at Manchester United seeming to be coming to a close, striker Wayne Rooney is now facing a problem over his list of potential destinations after German club Bayern Munich dismissed speculations of the player coming to the their side.
Stories have circulated in the German media that England`s premier attacker might have been an object of some interest for the Bundesliga champions.
However, Bayern`s sporting director Matthias Sammer confirmed in the bluntest terms that the club has no interest in signing him, adding that they are not sure what he would bring to the Bundesliga even though they have the greatest respect for the player.
In the past, such talks have often been the prelude to luring stars from their clubs as was the case with Real Madrid, which had previously denied having any interest in David Beckham, or in Cristiano Ronaldo, before proceeding to sign both from United.
But the possibility that Sammer may be simply stating a truth as with the German champions Bayern preparing to take part in their third Champions League final in four years and their purported transformation as a club geared towards producing the best young players, a well-seasoned striker of steadily declining mobility may not fit their plans.
Bayern’s dismissal is simply the latest in the shrinking roster of clubs willing to take on Rooney’s 250,000 pounds-a-week salary and 40 million pounds valuation, adding that such large cash seems like a waste for a player who was dropped for United`s biggest game of the season against Real Madrid.
Rooney’s list of likely suitors appears to have dwindled away to just Paris Saint-Germain, a club which is intent on buying their way both to Champions League success and the kind of brand status only a tacked-together collection of the world`s most glamorous players can buy.
Bayern, on the other hand, have their sights on Robert Lewandowksi, a player operating at a higher level than Rooney, who is three years younger, and would cost less.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends