Bayern sink Chelsea in dramatic Super Cup shootout
Prague: Bayern Munich gained some revenge for the 2012 Champions League final defeat by Chelsea when they beat the Premier League club 5-4 on penalties after a thrilling UEFA Super Cup ended 2-2 at the end of extra-time on Friday.
The first nine penalties were all scored before Chelsea substitute Romelu Lukaku had a tame effort saved by keeper Manuel Neuer to give the Champions League winners victory over the Europa League holders.
Earlier, Fernando Torres put the Londoners ahead with a sublime first-time finish from a cross by Andre Schuerrle in the eighth minute and Franck Ribery equalised with a 25-metre drive that eluded a diving Petr Cech in the 47th.
Chelsea had Brazil midfielder Ramires sent off in the 85th minute for a second bookable offence but Jose Mourinho`s 10 men went back in front three minutes into extra-time.
Eden Hazard picked the ball up on the left flank and cut inside two defenders to unleash a venomous right-foot strike that went straight through Neuer`s hands.
Pep Guardiola`s Bayern continued to dominate possession, much like they did under Jupp Heynckes in the Champions League final 15 months ago, but were thwarted by an outstanding performance from Cech who pulled off a string of fine saves.
It seemed as though Chelsea, who also looked dangerous on the counter attack, would hold on for victory until substitute Javi Martinez dramatically levelled for Bayern from close range with the last kick of extra-time.
"They take the cup but the best team lost," coach Mourinho told Sky Sports. "For me we were by far the best team.
"Bayern had 15 minutes in the second half which they dominated but even with 10 men we played fantastically."
The game began with Bayern on the front foot and it came as a surprise when the recalled Torres found the top corner of the net after good work by Schuerrle and Hazard.
Torres, playing with renewed confidence, twice went close to a second goal as Chelsea were determined to avoid a repeat of last year`s 4-1 Super Cup humbling by a Radamel Falcao-inspired Atletico Madrid.
Cech had to make a fingertip save to deny Bayern dangerman Ribery in the 22nd minute but the France winger eventually broke through two minutes into the second half with a shot that the Chelsea keeper could have stopped.
Bayern looked the classier team although Chelsea almost went back in front when defender Dante slipped in the penalty area. Schuerrle pounced on the loose ball and released Oscar who missed a golden opportunity with the goal gaping.
Chelsea went close again when Branislav Ivanovic headed against the crossbar and David Luiz forced a smart low save from Neuer.
Ramires was shown a red card for a reckless challenge on substitute Mario Goetze before Belgium winger Hazard put Chelsea back into the lead.
Bayern laid siege to the opposition goal for most of extra-time and Chelsea needed Cech, playing in his native country, to pull off save after save to deny the Bavarians an equaliser.
The Czech Republic international, however, was powerless to stop Javi Martinez when the ball deflected into his path six metres out just seconds before the final whistle.
"I`m so happy for the team and the coach," said Ribery after triple Super Cup runners-up Bayern lifted the trophy for the first time. "It was a special day for him in his legendary rivalry with Mourinho.
"We were lucky today. I think this win helps us and will give us some impetus."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark