Beckham advances to first Major League Soccer final
Los Angeles: David Beckham set up a goal with one of his trademark crosses as the Los Angeles Galaxy advanced to the MLS Cup final with a 3-1 win over Real Salt Lake.
The 36-year-old English midfielder is now due to play for his first Major League Soccer title in the final game of his five-year contract in Los Angeles.
"We knew it was going to be a difficult game," Beckham said. "We knew we were always going to be creating scoring chances so it was all about stopping them."
Beckham set up Mike Magee for a goal in the 58th minute. American Landon Donovan had earlier scored and Republic of Ireland striker Robbie Keane would go on to get the third for the Galaxy who will face the Houston Dynamo for the championship on November 20.
The match will take place at the Galaxy`s Home Depot Center in south central Los Angeles after Houston beat Sporting Kansas City 2-0 in the other semi-final Sunday.
Beckham`s cross enabled Magee to score his third goal of the post-season. "When we walked through the tunnel for the second half, we heard some of their players saying we were tired, we were done," Beckham said.
"I think that inspired us. We`re happy to be winning the Western final tonight, but we`re not getting carried away."
Keane scored in the 68th minute by slipping past Salt Lake defender Jamison Olave then driving a shot into the far corner of the goal to make the score 3-1. He celebrated with a somersault and cartwheel.
Beckham said Keane`s goal was key because it gave them some breathing room.
"We just tell him to score. He has always done that his whole career. His goal came at right time it eased the pressure for us," said Beckham.
Beckham said winning an MLS Cup would be comparable to some of the other championships he has been a part of.
"It is my number one priority," Beckham said. "As a professional you always want to be successful. I have done it for most of my career. It always means the same whether it`s winning the MLS Cup, the European Cup or La Liga. Every time you pick up the silverware it is the same."
The Galaxy have played in six previous finals, winning two.
Beckham has not said where he wants to play after this season, with France`s Paris Saint-Germain and English Premier League sides Tottenham Hotspur and Queens Park Rangers expressing interest. A new deal with the Galaxy is also an outside option.
Alvaro Saborio scored the only goal for Salt Lake.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Will not be bullied, will definitely visit Pakistan to talk peace: Ramya
- Xioami Redmi Note 4 launched, comes with 10-core processor, 4,100 mAh battery
- Michel Platini at sports court for Sepp Blatter appeal
- LIVE streaming: Krishna Janmashtami 2016 celebrations straight from ISKON Delhi – Watch here
- Temples lit up for Janmashtami celebrations in Madhya Pradesh