Beckham insists there have been no talks with Monaco
London: David Beckham has played down reports linking him with a move to AS Monaco, after the club`s chief executive Tor-Kristian Karlsen stated that the club would be "foolish" not to explore the opportunity of signing him.
Speculation has been rife over the former England captain`s future after he revealed that he would be leaving LA Galaxy following this weekend`s MLS final, with his contract expiring.
But after being linked with a host of clubs, Beckham revealed that he has not spoken with the French club, or the New York Cosmos, a club currently in the American second division.
"I`ve been hearing the Cosmos thing for the last two or three years," Beckham told reporters. "No, it`s not true. My manager has not had conversations on that side. That`s definitely not true.
"I heard the Monaco thing on the way to training this morning from my friend in London. He said, `Are you going to Monaco?` That was the first I heard of that."
The French side were relegated in 2011 following 35 years in Ligue 1 and chief executive Karlsen believes that signing someone with the reputation of Beckham would help restore his side to their former glory.
"We are happy with our current squad," the official, whose side are currently top of the French second tier, told BBC Sport.
"But if there`s a chance to get a player of Beckham`s stature, we`d be foolish not to explore it. Right now we`re trying to learn if Beckham`s future ambitions are in sync with ours.
"I understand he`s high in demand but it`s natural for a player with his experience and quality. Let`s see what the next few weeks bring.
"It`s a privilege to be linked with world-renowned players like Beckham. We`re an ambitious club and our president is committed to bringing the club back to where it used it be - to the elite of French football.
"To achieve such a goal we have to keep an open mind when experienced and extraordinarily talented footballers become available."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31