Beckham named global Football ambassador for China
London: Former England star David Beckham has said he is excited at the prospect of promoting football among the Chinese sports enthusiasts after being named country`s first global football ambassador.
The Paris Saint-Germain midfielder, who is a big star anywhere in the world, will spend four days on a whistle-stop tour across the country.
According to his agents, Beckham`s role will involve helping to promote the Chinese Super League (CSL) to the world, raising the profile of the game within China itself and to restore its image after recent match-fixing scandals.
In a statement released before his arrival, Beckham said he is honoured to have been asked to play such an important role at this special time in Chinese football history, adding he is excited by the prospect of promoting the world`s greatest game to Chinese sports fans as he has seen first-hand the growing interest in football there.
Beckham added football is a wonderful sport that inspires people across the world and brings families together, so he is relishing the opportunity of introducing more fans to the game.
Professional football in China is celebrating its 20th anniversary. Nicolas Anelka and Didier Drogba and coaches Marcello Lippi and Sergio Batista are among the high profile names to move to China, however, Drogba and Anelka lasted just one season.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir