Beckham rules out management after World Cup experience

Updated: Dec 06, 2011, 11:38 AM IST

Melbourne: David Beckham has ruled out management as a post-playing career, saying he did not enjoy his time as an assistant to England manager Fabio Capello at last year`s World Cup.

The former captain missed the 2010 finals through injury but joined the squad as a member of Capello`s support staff for England`s disappointing campaign which ended with a thumping 4-1 loss to Germany in the second round.

"I didn`t like it at all. I don`t know how managers and coaches do it," the 36-year-old told a leading daily ahead of Tuesday`s match between his Major League Soccer club Los Angeles Galaxy and local side Melbourne Victory.

"I love working with kids and coaching kids, but being a manager is one of those things that has never interested me. I enjoyed being part of that whole experience (in South Africa), but being on the sidelines was difficult."

Tuesday`s match in Melbourne may be the former England midfielder`s last for Galaxy, as he weighs up his next career move with a view to breaking into Britain`s soccer team for next year`s London Olympic Games.

Beckham has been strongly linked with Ligue 1 club Paris St Germain but has also said he could take another contract with the Galaxy.

"I`ve had other offers, which is nice, especially when you`re 36, some people would say towards the end of my career. I`ve got options and offers but I`m still a Galaxy player right now and that might not change," he said.

"I`d have to decide in the next few weeks, maybe before Christmas, maybe just after. But I`m going to take my time. It`s a big decision."

"Everyone knows how passionate I am about playing for my country and to represent my country in an Olympics would be pretty incredible, especially as the Olympics is in a part of London where I grew up as a kid," he said.

Bureau Report