Becks to set up new US Major League Soccer franchise in Miami
London: England football legend David Beckham will set up a Major League Soccer franchise in Miami, according to sources close to the star.
According to the Mirror, Beckham has an option to buy a franchise for 25million dollars, although he faces strong competition from around the world if he is to realise ambitions to own an MLS club.
The option of becoming an owner of a club at a discounted rate was included in David Beckham`s contract with LA Galaxy in 2007, as an incentive to play football in America at that time, the report said.
The heads of Major League Soccer have agreed to expand the league, and there are a range of individuals around the world who have shown interest in being part of the expansion and owning a club, the report added.
However, it is thought that former England captain
David Beckham leads the pack, due to what he has done for the profile of football in America, and that he wants to start a team in Miami, the report further said.
There are currently 19 teams in the MLS, but by 2020 there could be 24 teams, and David Beckham is currently looking for investment, according to the report.
Beckham would still need to raise hundreds of millions of dollars to cover the costs of setting up club infrastructure and further expenses involved in setting up a franchise, the report mentioned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray