Bencharifa takes over as chief coach of Mohun Bagan
Kolkata: Moroccan Karim Bencherifa, beginning his second stint as coach of Mohun Bagan, today said his main aim would be to regain the I-League title.
The 44-year-old was recalled from Goa after Santosh Kashyap was asked to quit after the team`s failure in the Federation Cup and the back-to-back defeats in the I-League.
Karim had served Mohun Bagan for 19 months before joining Salgaocar Sports Club in 2010 and won the I-League and Federation Cup in 2011.
Karim had left Bagan 33 months ago after differences cropped up between him and club officials.
Karim, who was with Salgaoncar before this assignment, said, "I am very happy to be back with Mohun Bagan. It`s a new challenge and I am very comfortable in taking up challenges."
Karim, in his first stint, had shepherded Bagan to become runners up in the I-League and champions in the Federation Cup. It also topped the Calcutta Premier League.
But Mohun Bagan failed to win any tournament after Karim left the club.
Karim said under his coaching Salgaocar not only saved relegation, but emerged as champions in the I league.
"I know the responsibility on my shoulder. Hopefully this will be a great season for Mohun Bagan again. We are now four points behind the league leader. It?s not a big gap. Moreover, I league title is decided mostly on the performance in the second stage of the league," Karim said.
He said that there were many things that needed improvements, including the fitness level of the players, and that conditions here were better than at Salgaocar.
"I had to motivate the Salgaocar players a lot. The squad here has a lot of quality."
Asked about the reason for leaving Salgaocar, Karim said after they lost their 6th I-league match against Sikkim United on October 7, he decided to quit as his partnership with the club was not doing well.
Asked about the availability of Australian striker Tolgey Ozbey, Karim said he was injured and is in the process of rehabilitation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened