Benfica close in on Brazilian defender
Rio de Janeiro: Brazilian defender Bruno Cortez is on the verge of being signed by Portuguese club Benfica.
The 26-year-old left-back is currently in Lisbon for a medical and is expected to sign a contract within few days.
He could make his debut for Benfica against his current club Sao Paulo on Aug 3 in the Eusebio Cup, an annual pre-season exhibition match at the Estadio da Luz, home ground of Benfica, commonly known as the Stadium of Light.
Having begun his career with Brazilian fourth division side Nova Iguacu, Cortez rose to prominence upon joining Botafogo in 2011.
After making his international debut against Argentina in 2011, Cortez was sold to Sao Paulo, where he has played 79 matches in two seasons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened