Benfica stage comeback win over PSG but bow out
Lisbon: Benfica got the better of a makeshift Paris St Germain side with a 2-1 comeback win on Tuesday thanks to goals from South Americans Lima and Nicolas Gaitan but it wasn`t enough to secure a passage to the knockout rounds of the Champions League.
The Lisbon club needed to better Olympiakos` score in Athens, but the Greek side beat Anderlecht 3-1 to claim the runners-up spot in Group C and consign third-placed Benfica to the Europa League.
PSG go through as group winners with 13 points, three ahead of both Olympiakos and Benfica.
The visitors` Uruguayan striker Edinson Cavani slotted home the opener eight minutes before halftime.
Benfica levelled with a penalty from Brazilian Lima after PSG`s Champions League debutant Kalifa Traore brought down Silvio in the box, and Argentinian Gaitan rewarded Benfica for a stronger second-half display with the winner after 58 minutes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Hull City gain Premier League promotion, courtesy Mohamed Diame stunner against Sheffield Wednesday
- 7.2 magnitude quake hits South Georgia, South Sandwich Islands
- 10 killed Bangladesh local govt body polls violence
- Watch: Unbelievable! Extra-strong see-through wood is now a reality
- 'Ek Nai Subah': NDA govt celebrates 2 years in office; PM Narendra Modi vows to root out corruption