Bengaluru FC crowned champions on I-League debut
Margao: First-timers Bengaluru FC on Monday wrote a new chapter in Indian football by clinching the I-League title in their debut season courtesy a 4-2 away win over Dempo Sports Club here, with captain Sunil Chhetri fittingly netting the final goal.
Needing a win to snatch the title ahead of other established teams, Bengaluru led from start to finish. They scored through Sean Rooney (2nd), Robin Singh (56th), John Menyongar (79th) and captain Sunil Chhetri (90+7).
Dempo reduced the margin through Roberto Silva (82nd) and substitute Romeo Fernandes (89th). After Sean Rooney had given them a dream start in the second minute, there was no looking back. Dempo threatened a brief fightback but that was not enough to thwart Bengaluru.
The win helped the Southern club accumulate 44 points and take an unassailable lead with one round still to be played. The likes of East Bengal and Salgaocar Football Club will play for the second and third spot.
Bengaluru needed a win from any of their last two matches to emerge triumphant but in the end it was clear that they would not leave anything to chance. Robin Singh scored in the 56th minute to give his team a 2-0 lead. With ten minutes left to be played, Bengaluru put the issue beyond doubt when John Menyongar made it 3-0.
There was brief fightback from Dempo as Brazilian midfielder Roberto Mendes da Silva pulled a goal back in the 82nd minute and Romeo Fernandes then scrambled home to make it 2-3.
But India and Bengaluru captain Sunil Chhetri scored the winners` fourth goal of the evening.
Coach Ashley Westwood was suspended for the game and assistant coach Pradyum Reddy took charge in the dugout. But Westwood had done enough in pre-match preparations to help his team sail through.
They started with a flourish when Rooney gave them a second-minute lead. Captain Chhetri took a quick throw in to Robin, whose shot across the goal was met with glee by Rooney past a bewildered Dempo defence.
Dempo did not have a single shot on goal for most part of the first half and goalkeeper Laxmikant Kattimani had to make a double-save to keep Robin quiet from a blistering quick counter-attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant