Bengaluru FC hold Mohun Bagan to 1-1 draw
Bangalore: C S Sabeeth scored in the dying moments to neutralise a second half strike from Sean Rooney as Mohun Bagan shared honours with debutants Bengaluru FC in the first Round of their I-league encounter here on Sunday.
It was the home team that drew first blood in the 49th minute of the match, when their Aussie striker Sean Rooney poked home against the run of play at the Bangalore Football Stadium.
And just when it looked that the home side was heading for a dream debut, Sabeeth spoilt the perfect party as the Bagan striker headed a ball into the Bengaluru FC net deep into second half stoppage time.
Earlier, both the teams missed one penalty each as they had to be satisfied with one point each.
The offenders were Yusa Katsumi in the first half and Rooney post the breather, the latter ruing the chance to cap a brace for his new Club.
Despite playing their first match, it was the home side that started strongly penetrating into the Bagan box within the first five minutes of play.
The visitors then came back strongly thanks to some brilliant ball play by Katsumi in the midfield. Despite missing the penalty early on, Bagan managed to create some chances but failed to find the back of the net.
The closest they came to scoring in the first half apart from the penalty was in the 21st minute when Sabeeth`s shot was saved by Bengaluru FC keeper Pawan Kumar.
In the second half, Bagan started showing nerves early on as they conceded the goal and then a penalty. Trailing 1-0, they pressed hard for the equaliser but were unlucky a couple of times.
Sunil Chhetri, who came in as a substitute for the hosts in the second half, got an opportunity in the 83th minute, but his shot went past the goal post. One minute later, Siam Hangal got a golden opportunity to make it 2-0 for the hosts, but he failed to round off the goalkeeper.
The hosts were reduced to ten men in the 90th when Thoi Singh was shown a red card following his second booking.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’