Bengaluru FC host East Bengal
Bangalore: Debutants Bengaluru FC will look to consolidate their position on the top of the points table when they clash against AFC Cup semi-finalists East Bengal in the I-League, here on Sunday.
With four successive away-wins, Bengaluru FC have shown that their dream start at the beginning of the campaign was no fluke and it will take something special from the visitors to deny the hosts another win.
Bengaluru FC will remain at the top of the 13-team table irrespective of their result against the Kolkata outfit as the nearest rival Sporting Clube de Goa are six points behind the hosts.
Bengaluru`s inspirational skipper Sunil Chhetri, who is making scoring a brace a habit, would aim to carry his fine form at the Bangalore Football Stadium.
Robin Singh would also look to continue with his impressive work rate in the last few games. The return of club`s top-scorer Sean Rooney from a calf strain has only strengthened Bengaluru`s strike force.
The hosts will be looking forward to the Aussie to once again cast his magic up front. Rooney, who had scored six goals in the first five matches in Bangalore, would be hoping to delight the homecrowd by scoring goals at his favourite ground.
On the other hand, the Red-and-Gold brigade, who had played a barren draw against Salgaocar FC in Goa, would look to extend their unbeaten streak to nine games this season.
With 15 points from 10 games, East Bengal are still in the fray as they could easily race to top three teams if they win next three games.
East Bengal have just conceded a solitary goal in their last eight games against goal-scoring demons like Dempo SC, Pune FC and Churchill Brothers.
The Kolkatan outfit`s one weak point this season had been their ability to convert chances into goals. They would be pinning their hopes on Edeh Chidi and Manandeep Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- 5.5 magnitude earthquake hits Myanmar-India border; tremors felt in Assam
- Was Aamir Khan all set to do a 'Rustom'? Here's what we know so far
- Grand Welcome for champions: After Telangana, Andhra Pradesh government felicitates PV Sindhu, Pullela Gopichand
- Google rolls out Android Nougat, Nexus phones to get it first
- Watch: Sonakshi Sinha, Remo D'souza's 'Beat Pe Booty' will make you want to hit dance floor too