Bengaluru FC host East Bengal
Bangalore: Debutants Bengaluru FC will look to consolidate their position on the top of the points table when they clash against AFC Cup semi-finalists East Bengal in the I-League, here on Sunday.
With four successive away-wins, Bengaluru FC have shown that their dream start at the beginning of the campaign was no fluke and it will take something special from the visitors to deny the hosts another win.
Bengaluru FC will remain at the top of the 13-team table irrespective of their result against the Kolkata outfit as the nearest rival Sporting Clube de Goa are six points behind the hosts.
Bengaluru`s inspirational skipper Sunil Chhetri, who is making scoring a brace a habit, would aim to carry his fine form at the Bangalore Football Stadium.
Robin Singh would also look to continue with his impressive work rate in the last few games. The return of club`s top-scorer Sean Rooney from a calf strain has only strengthened Bengaluru`s strike force.
The hosts will be looking forward to the Aussie to once again cast his magic up front. Rooney, who had scored six goals in the first five matches in Bangalore, would be hoping to delight the homecrowd by scoring goals at his favourite ground.
On the other hand, the Red-and-Gold brigade, who had played a barren draw against Salgaocar FC in Goa, would look to extend their unbeaten streak to nine games this season.
With 15 points from 10 games, East Bengal are still in the fray as they could easily race to top three teams if they win next three games.
East Bengal have just conceded a solitary goal in their last eight games against goal-scoring demons like Dempo SC, Pune FC and Churchill Brothers.
The Kolkatan outfit`s one weak point this season had been their ability to convert chances into goals. They would be pinning their hopes on Edeh Chidi and Manandeep Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Delhi Police may arrest Kabaddi player Rohit over wife's suicide
- Politics over Mahesh Sharma's visit to Ayodhya museum site ahead of UP elections
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about