Benitez confirmed as interim Chelsea coach
London: Rafael Benitez has been confirmed as Chelsea`s new manager, after the club sacked Roberto Di Matteo in the aftermath of Tuesday`s 3-0 Champions League defeat to Juventus.
The 52-year-old takes charge of the European champions on an interim basis until the end of the current campaign after spending almost two years out of work following his dismissal at Inter.
A statement on the club`s official website read: "The owner and the Board believe that in Benitez we have a manager with significant experience at the highest level of football, who can come in and immediately help deliver our objectives.
"The 52-year-old Spaniard is due to meet the players at the training ground in Cobham on Thursday."
Benitez will take charge of his second Premier League club after a successful six-year spell at Liverpool between 2004 and 2010.
His time on Merseyside led to success in Europe as he won the club`s fifth European Cup in his second season in 2005, while he also secured the FA Cup a year later.
Roman Abramovich relieved Di Matteo of his duties on Wednesday morning despite the Italian guiding the club to their maiden Champions League trophy and a seventh FA Cup last season.
Di Matteo signed a two-year deal in the summer, but has seen his position questioned almost continually since with Pep Guardiola thought to wanted by the Russian oligarch to lead the club.
Benitez becomes the ninth Blues manager in nine years in the Abramovich era.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family