Benitez determined to keep Cavani
Rome: Napoli boss Rafa Benitez says that Edinson Cavani can only leave the club if one of his suitors agrees to meet his €63 million buyout clause.
The Uruguayan striker has been linked with a host of clubs across Europe this summer, most notably Real Madrid, Chelsea and Manchester City.
However, the San Paolo outfit are ready to reject every bid for the 26-year-old as both the Spaniard and club president Aurelio De Laurentiis are determined to hold on to their star.
"Neither I nor the president want Cavani to leave because he`s a very important player for us," the former Blues boss told Radio Marca.
"Of course, he was a clause which none of us can control. But the president and I want him to stay and continue to grow at Napoli.
"He has become famous with this club and he can achieve even more in a team and with fans who worship him.
"He knows what the club and the Napoli supporters have given him. He will not have problems competeing with us again and going for success with the club.
"Napoli doesn`t need money. If he leaves, it will be for his clause, which is a very high amount. But our intention is that he stays with the team.
"Neither the president nor I are proposing that we have to sell Cavani, only to strengthen the team so that Cavani can be even more important.
"I am aware that there have been offers, but there is a clause and if they want the player, they will have to pay it."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you