Benitez determined to keep Cavani
Rome: Napoli boss Rafa Benitez says that Edinson Cavani can only leave the club if one of his suitors agrees to meet his €63 million buyout clause.
The Uruguayan striker has been linked with a host of clubs across Europe this summer, most notably Real Madrid, Chelsea and Manchester City.
However, the San Paolo outfit are ready to reject every bid for the 26-year-old as both the Spaniard and club president Aurelio De Laurentiis are determined to hold on to their star.
"Neither I nor the president want Cavani to leave because he`s a very important player for us," the former Blues boss told Radio Marca.
"Of course, he was a clause which none of us can control. But the president and I want him to stay and continue to grow at Napoli.
"He has become famous with this club and he can achieve even more in a team and with fans who worship him.
"He knows what the club and the Napoli supporters have given him. He will not have problems competeing with us again and going for success with the club.
"Napoli doesn`t need money. If he leaves, it will be for his clause, which is a very high amount. But our intention is that he stays with the team.
"Neither the president nor I are proposing that we have to sell Cavani, only to strengthen the team so that Cavani can be even more important.
"I am aware that there have been offers, but there is a clause and if they want the player, they will have to pay it."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Roberto Martinez announced Thierry Henry as assistant coach for Belgium
- Olympic Dreams: Rickshaw driver buys shooter daughter rifle worth 5 lakh that was saved for her wedding
- Sonam Kapoor to campaign against malnutrition
- Want no cookie cutter beauty queen: Lara Dutta
- Companies making beeline to sign PV Sindhu for endorsements