Benitez determined to keep Cavani
Rome: Napoli boss Rafa Benitez says that Edinson Cavani can only leave the club if one of his suitors agrees to meet his €63 million buyout clause.
The Uruguayan striker has been linked with a host of clubs across Europe this summer, most notably Real Madrid, Chelsea and Manchester City.
However, the San Paolo outfit are ready to reject every bid for the 26-year-old as both the Spaniard and club president Aurelio De Laurentiis are determined to hold on to their star.
"Neither I nor the president want Cavani to leave because he`s a very important player for us," the former Blues boss told Radio Marca.
"Of course, he was a clause which none of us can control. But the president and I want him to stay and continue to grow at Napoli.
"He has become famous with this club and he can achieve even more in a team and with fans who worship him.
"He knows what the club and the Napoli supporters have given him. He will not have problems competeing with us again and going for success with the club.
"Napoli doesn`t need money. If he leaves, it will be for his clause, which is a very high amount. But our intention is that he stays with the team.
"Neither the president nor I are proposing that we have to sell Cavani, only to strengthen the team so that Cavani can be even more important.
"I am aware that there have been offers, but there is a clause and if they want the player, they will have to pay it."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged