Benitez says ‘improving’ Chelsea can challenge Manchester clubs for PL title
London: Chelsea interim manager Rafael Benitez has claimed a win in the Club World Cup final on Sunday against South American champions Corinthians will inject conviction of challenging Manchester United and Manchester City for the Premier League title into his squad.
Chelsea will take on the imposing Copa Libertadores winners here, by which time United could have stretched their lead over third place to 13 points by defeating Sunderland at Old Trafford.
That advantage could be extended further by the time the London club next kick a ball in the Premier League, against Aston Villa next Sunday.
“People tell me that it`s a two-horse race but, realistically, if you win two or three games in a row then you have more confidence,” the Guardian quoted Benitez, as saying.
“If we win here and play like we did against Monterrey [in the semi-final], good football with the quality we have going forward and the right balance in defence, this team can go on to win games in a row easily,” he added.
“How many? I don`t know. But if you win three or four in a row, confidence will be so high,” he said
Benitez added: “They know that what we are doing, the roles and the movements [we`re asking them to work on in training], is all working. If, against Aston Villa next week, we can reproduce the same levels we have been, they will start building this confidence.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- Investor account to earn benefits on freezed accounts too: AMFI
- Now a documentary on music producer Steve Aoki
- Zakir Naik lured people to convert to Islam, gave them Rs 50,000?
- India lacks legal framework for public debt management: CAG
- WATCH: UNREAL! 6 needed off 1 ball - Here's what Azhar Mahmood did!