Benitez to leave Chelsea in May
London: Chelsea interim manager Rafael Benitez has confirmed he will leave the club when his short-term contract expires at the end of the season.
The 52-year-old Spaniard took charge of Roman Abramovich`s side in November after Roberto di Matteo was controversially ousted despite winning the Champions League.
"I am a professional, I am doing my job and I will do my job. What I want to do is I want to win every single game for Chelsea Football Club. But if they don`t understand this, at the end of the season, because I am interim, I will leave. They don`t need to worry about me," Benitez said.
Benitez also called the interim label "a massive mistake", suggesting it undermined his authority in the dressing room.
"I`m the manager," he said.
Benitez has guided Chelsea to 13 wins from 25 games in all competitions, reaching the last 16 of the Europa League and the quarterfinals of the FA Cup. A section of the Blues supporters, however, has remained hostile to the Spaniard due to his fierce rivalry with their team during his days as Liverpool coach.
"They have to support the team instead of wasting time doing banners or singing songs. If they want to carry on wasting time with these things because they have an agenda, they have to take responsibility if something is wrong. If not then next year they can carry on singing but we will be in the Europa League," Benitez said.
Chelsea are fourth in the Premier League, closely followed by Arsenal, who are just two points behind, with 11 games of the season left.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday