Benitez uncertain over Lampard & Cole future at Chelsea
London: Chelsea interim manager Rafael Benitez has denied claims that Frank Lampard and Ashley Cole are certain to leave the club at the end of the season.
The England duo`s contracts expire in the summer and Benitez appeared to suggest that the west London outfit would not offer them new deals in a recent press conference.
However, the Spaniard has described the confusion as a "misunderstanding", though he did admit uncertainty over whether the pair will stay.
"When I was asked the other day, maybe it was a misunderstanding or maybe my English was not good enough, but the situation I know is that they are finishing their contracts [in the summer]," he told reporters.
"Past that, I do not know. I know that Frank is happy here and he is a player that is part of the leadership, he is one of the important players, but I do not know about his future.
"So I cannot say yes or no, he will stay or he will leave, in January or even at the end of the season. At this moment, I do not know."
Benitez also refuted claims that his meeting with the club board on Friday had concerned anyone leaving Stamford Bridge.
"We didn`t talk about any players going," he continued. "The board were asking me about players coming but not about any players leaving."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok