Bhowmick my lucky coach: Churchill keeper
Kolkata: After a stellar performance to take Churchill Brothers one point shy of the I-League title, Sandip Nandy credited on Sunday, technical director Subhas Bhowmick for rediscovering his football career after the goalkeeper got a boot from East Bengal last season.
As it turned out, the 38-year-old, with a man of the match performance in their 2-0 win over Mohun Bagan today, virtually won the title for Churchill who only need a draw from two remaining matches to seal the issue.
"The performance is an answer to my critics at East Bengal. My career was almost dying (in 2012) as the officials there had said I did not deserve the salary...
"But all credit to Subhasda (Bhowmick) for rediscovering my career. He showed me the way... He has been my lucky coach. I`m proud to (almost) win another title with him. He has made a fine unit here. Full credit goes to him," Nandy said.
Nandy pulled off two great saves to deny a rampaging Odafa Okolie in their win over Mohun Bagan as his chemistry with Bhowmick once again did the trick.
For the former East Bengal goalkeeper, if Churchill win the I-League, it would be a third title along with Bhowmick who was the red and gold`s coach in their then NFL triumphs from 2002 to 04.
Overall, Nandy would become a five-time national league winner as he was part of Mahindra United (2005-06) and Mohun Bagan (1999-2000) during their respective triumphs.
Bhowmick said, "It`s a team game and the credit goes to our boys. The I-League title is in sight now."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing