Bhutia congratulates U-23 squad for winning SAFF Cup
Mumbai: Congratulating the U-23 squad for winning the SAFF Championship, India captain Bhaichung Bhutia on Saturday said the win was a welcome change for the team as there were no tournaments for that particular age group.
“It is a positive change to send the under-23 boys for the SAFF Championship as there were no tournaments for that particular age group,” he said.
The tournament gave a chance to the juniors who would otherwise have been sidelined by the members of the senior team, said Bhutia, who was here to kick off the South Mumbai Soccer Challenge along with AIFF president and Civil Aviation Minister Praful Patel.
204 schools have registered for the two-day event, from which 24 players will be picked by former India player Santosh Kashyap.
These players will attend a camp to be conducted by coaches from the English Championships side Queen Park Rangers, following which two players will be picked to travel abroad and train with QPR for a six to eight-week stint.
Meanwhile, Patel said the AIFF along with FIFA was taking concrete steps towards building better infrastructure for the sport in India.
“The AIFF is in the process of setting up three football academies, while India has also been sanctioned seven artificial football pitches by the FIFA,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note