Bhutia-led FPAI explain players` grievances in Melbourne
New Delhi: Highlighting the Indian footballers` grievances over non-payment of salaries as per terms laid down in their contracts, former captain Bhaichung Bhutia recently presented a report at the FIFPro Asia Conference in Melbourne.
The International Federation of Professional Footballers, usually known as FIFPro, is a worldwide representative organisation for professional players.
At the moment, there are 49 national players associations who are members of FIFPro. Bhutia is the president of the Football Players Association of India (FPAI).
A few Indian clubs have, in recent times, were learnt to have failed to fulfil their players` contractual obligations.
According to an FPAI member, they believe Indian clubs` contracts have "flaws" and they are seeking to "correct" it.
One such flaw is the "absence of injury clause" in the contract of some clubs. As a result, players do not get paid in full if they get injured either while training or playing a match.
In a bid to cut down on the losses, popular Indian club Mohun Bagan recently failed to honour the contracts of some players.
An act like this could prompt the FPAI and the FIFPro to take a stand against the errant clubs in future.
It was also reported that the players` body will also ask the All India Football Federation (AIFF) to force clubs to implement the model contract they prepared when the organisation was established.
The players` body has also kept open the option of approaching the FIFA.
The conference was also attended by FPAI executive committee member and former India midfielder Renedy Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part II
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part III
- Hafiz Saeed warns of jihad to free Pak rivers from India
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- With 31% jump, HDFC's Aditya Puri top gainer in salary hike among private bank chiefs
- Team India to attend preparatory camp under new coach Anil Kumble!
- Like seriously! Marijuana is legal in these 8 countries
- Security alert! Islamic State militants release 'kill list', target 4000 people including 285 Indians
- Nephew Krushna Abhishek apologises to Govinda! – Know why