Bhutia welcomes new teams to I-league
Kolkata: Former India captain Bhaichung Bhutia on Saturday welcomed the qualification of Rangdajied United FC, Shillong and Mohammadan Sporting, Kolkata to the I-League and said it would make the competition even more exciting.
"It`s really a good sign that two teams from this region -- East and Northeast -- have made the top tier. It would make the competition even more exciting here," the `Sikkimese Sniper` said here today.
"Mohammadan Sporting are a fan-based old club. Their inclusion is really a welcoming sign."
Talking about RUFC, who became the second team from Shillong after Lajong FC to qualify, Bhutia said: "They have been doing well for quite a long time. It`s the result of their commitment. It augurs well for northeast football".
With East Bengal`s I-League hope diminishing, Bhutia said, "For them to win the title, Mohun Bagan will have to do a huge favour. But their focus should be on the AFC Cup now as they have made it to the prequarters".
The national football icon, who has officially not retired from club level, said he would not turn up against Mohun Bagan when they meet next week in the I-League.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- 'Second Hand Husband' review: Fails to impress