Bidding process for Indian Super League opens tomorrow
Mumbai: The Indian Super League is set to roll again with the bidding process of the much-anticipated IPL-style football tournament starting from on Monday.
IMG-Reliance, the tournament organisers, will be floating a tender through `Invitation To Bid` documents, inviting bids for nine cities across the country from which eight franchises will be finally selected.
The league was to begin in January but had to be postponed owing to scheduling problem and lack of a window.
Promising to revolutionise the sport in the country, the league has the backing of All India Football Federation, and is likely to see big names such as former Manchester United striker Dwight Yorke, former Argentina striker Hernan Crespo and former England forward Michael Owen.
The nine cities in the reckoning are Bangalore, Chennai, Dehli, Goa, Guwahati, Kochi, Kolkata, Mumbai and Pune.
"International Management Group Worldwide and Reliance Industries Ltd.`s joint venture in India, `IMG-Reliance`, together with Star India Pvt. Ltd. Today announced its plans to commence the bidding process for Indian Super League clubs through `Invitation To Bid` tenders starting Monday, 3rd March 2014," IMG-R said in a statement.
"The ambitious Indian Super League ? an unrivalled football championship to be staged from September to November 2014, will foster local talent and feature international stars with the aim of making the game one of the country`s flagship sport," it added.
"Off these nine cities, winning bidders for the top eight cities will be granted the right to own and operate a new football club and participate in the Indian Super League."
Ernst & Young, the advisory firm, has been entrusted the responsibility of evaluating the bid documents, following which the winning participants will be announced by first week of April.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what