Big occasion won`t get to me, says Nakhi Wells
London: In-form Bermudan striker Nahki Wells says he will not let the big occasion get to him and will "really enjoy it" when Division Two giant-killers Bradford City take on Premier League side Swansea in Sunday`s League Cup final at Wembley Stadium.
Wells, 22, is Bradford`s leading scorer with 18 goals in all competitions this season and is fast becoming a firm favourite with fans at Valley Parade, the club`s home ground in West Yorkshire in the north of England, reports CMC.
Bradford, who currently lie mid-table in Division Two, will be aiming for a fairytale finish as they bid to claim a fourth top-flight scalp in this season`s League Cup, having already seen off Wigan, Arsenal and Aston Villa.
The odds are stacked against Bradford. Swansea, who are eighth in the Premier Division, are 7/1 on favourites with the bookmakers to win the final.
"These opportunities are rare and sometimes the occasion gets the best of people, but I can assure it won`t happen to me," Wells told a newspaper.
The former Dandy Town player said earlier this week that he had done his best to keep his mind focused on the present rather than on Wembley.
"I haven`t been mentally focused on the final because we had league games to focus on prior to it. Obviously those are out of the way now, so I`m looking forward to the occasion and going out there and doing the best I can and really enjoy it," he continued.
"The support is great and to make it to a cup final I expected us to have a great turnout. I knew we would sell 30,000 tickets with no problem and we could possibly sell out Wembley realistically.
"It`s good to have that support and I`m just proud for the city and fans that they have something to look forward to and enjoy."
The Bantams are the first fourth-tier side to reach a major English cup final for 51 years and will be making only their second Wembley appearance - their previous one was the 1996 third-tier playoff final.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves