Bilbao thump Valladolid 4-2 to regain fourth spot
Madrid: Athletic Bilbao climbed back above Villarreal into fourth place in La Liga after Ibai Gomez struck twice in a 4-2 comeback win at home to struggling Real Valladolid on Monday.
Oscar Gonzalez stabbed the ball in from close range to give the visitors a surprise 15th-minute lead at a rain-soaked San Mames and Valladolid goalkeeper Diego Marino kept Bilbao at bay until midway through the second half with a host of fine saves.
The 23-year-old Spain youth international, a product of Villarreal`s academy, was unable to prevent Gomez levelling with a clinical finish from a tight angle in the 65th minute.
Substitute Oscar De Marcos fired Bilbao ahead with a close-range header 10 minutes later before Gomez completed his double in the 82nd with another low strike and Ander Herrera nodded a fourth with four minutes to go.
Valladolid substitute Valdet Rama then lashed the ball into the roof of the net in added time after a powerful run through the home defence.
Bilbao, who visit Atletico Madrid in the quarter-finals of the King`s Cup on Thursday, have won nine of their 11 league games at their new stadium this season and drawn two.
Monday`s victory lifted them back above Villarreal, who won 2-0 at home to Almeria on Sunday, into the fourth spot that earns a berth in Champions League qualifying next season.
The Basque club have 39 points from 20 matches and Villarreal are fifth on 37. Real Sociedad, who drew 2-2 at Getafe on Sunday, are sixth on 33 while Valladolid are third from bottom on 16.
"We are on a very good run at home," Gomez told television broadcaster Cuatro. "We have often fallen behind but managed to turn the game around and that counts for a lot.
"The team is in good shape and we are maintaining our intensity for the whole 90 minutes which is very important."
Elsewhere, third-placed Real Madrid closed within a point of joint leaders Barcelona and Atletico Madrid thanks to Saturday`s 5-0 win at bottom club Real Betis.
On Sunday, Barca came from a goal down to draw 1-1 at Levante and Atletico let slip the lead in a 1-1 stalemate at home to Sevilla.
Barca and Atletico have 51 points, with the champions ahead on goal difference.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015