Bilic under pressure to resign as Croatia coach
Zagreb: The Croatian sports media Monday unanimously pressed the nation`s coach Slaven Bilic to resign after his team is left with only a vague chance to qualify for the 2010 World Cup football.
“Go, good man, your time has expired, the arena which until recently cheered for you and glorified your name, now turned the thumb down,” one daily said.
Mass-circulation paper Vecernji List accused Bilic of committing `mortal sins` which have cost the nation a trip to the final in South Africa.
He “failed to find the way to the Mondial ... set up cowardly tactics against Ukraine, underestimated (England coach) Fabio Capello, is too fond of his players and too soft on them, he tolerated wild player parties and allowed his team to squabble,” it said.
Croatia rank third in qualifying group 6, one point behind Ukraine who hold second place for a playoff berth. In the final round on Wednesday, Ukraine are at bottom side Andorra while Croatia play in Kazakhstan. England are the group winners.
Capello`s England got its revenge on Croatia, which ousted it in Euro 2008 qualifying and propelled Bilic from an interim coach to the status of a superstar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Know what Shah Rukh Khan feels about PM Narendra Modi’s ‘Make In India’ initiative
- Know how Karan Johar entertains ‘India's Got Talent’ co-judge Malaika Arora Khan
- CINTAA's joint secretary apologises to Rakhi Sawant, Dolly Bindra – Here’s why
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants Aamir, Salman, Shah Rukh Khan to support her
- Indian Naval Ships Veer, Nipat to be decommissioned today