Blatter expects 2022 Qatar World Cup to be moved from summer spot
London: FIFA President Sepp Blatter expects his executive committee to decide soon that the 2022 World Cup in Qatar will be switched from the scorching heat of summer to either winter or spring.
Blatter said FIFA`s executive committee will almost certainly confirm the move when it meets in Zurich on October 3 this year.
He said that he would be very much surprised if the ExCo will not accept the principle that one cannot play in summer in Qatar.
According to Sky Sports, Blatter admitted any switch in the timetable would have to be taken after consultation with leagues, clubs, national associations and players, through their international union FIFPro.
The tournament is currently due to take place in June and July when temperatures normally rise above 40 degrees.
Blatter has previously suggested November as a possible start for the month-long tournament, while recent speculation has focused on May.
A January-February slot is unlikely because of a clash with the 2022 Winter Olympics , the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley