Blatter likely to meet PM during his India visit
New Delhi: World football body FIFA`s President Joseph Blatter is likely to meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh during his visit to the country on March 9.
Blatter, who will be in the country for the second time after his visit in 2007, will seek an update on the developmental work under the financial assistance from the world body.
Blatter`s visit is also being seen by All India Football Federation as a chance to push for the country`s case for hosting the Under-17 World Cup in 2017, which guarantees the host`s participation for the first time in a world-level event.
Blatter, who will be in Nepal during the AFC Challenge Cup starting tomorrow, will meet the Executive Committee members of the AIFF who are expected to apprise him of the various developmental works in the country, including FIFA projects.
Though on a courtesy visit, Blatter will be keen to know about India`s infrastructural preparedness to host the 2017 U-17 World Cup, which, if awarded, will be the biggest football event in the country.
FIFA is supporting setting up of four academies in Kolkata, Mumbai, Bangalore and Delhi.
Blatter had earlier visited India in 2007 on the occasion of AIFF`s Platinum jubilee celebrations and also witnessed National Football League derby between East Bengal and Mohun Bagan in Kolkata.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why