Blatter likely to meet PM during his India visit
New Delhi: World football body FIFA`s President Joseph Blatter is likely to meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh during his visit to the country on March 9.
Blatter, who will be in the country for the second time after his visit in 2007, will seek an update on the developmental work under the financial assistance from the world body.
Blatter`s visit is also being seen by All India Football Federation as a chance to push for the country`s case for hosting the Under-17 World Cup in 2017, which guarantees the host`s participation for the first time in a world-level event.
Blatter, who will be in Nepal during the AFC Challenge Cup starting tomorrow, will meet the Executive Committee members of the AIFF who are expected to apprise him of the various developmental works in the country, including FIFA projects.
Though on a courtesy visit, Blatter will be keen to know about India`s infrastructural preparedness to host the 2017 U-17 World Cup, which, if awarded, will be the biggest football event in the country.
FIFA is supporting setting up of four academies in Kolkata, Mumbai, Bangalore and Delhi.
Blatter had earlier visited India in 2007 on the occasion of AIFF`s Platinum jubilee celebrations and also witnessed National Football League derby between East Bengal and Mohun Bagan in Kolkata.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!