Blatter meets with Qatar`s emir to discuss improvement of labour rights
FIFA President Sepp Blatter reportedly had a meeting with Qatar`s emir to discuss the improvement of the rights of migrant workers in the 2022 World Cup host nation.
FIFA said in a statement on Wednesday that they discussed ongoing reforms of labour rights during a one-hour meeting.
Campaigns have been held by unions and rights groups to highlight unsafe conditions in Qatar, unpaid salaries and contracts tying workers to employers, Gulf News reported.
Blatter`s visit, which was not announced in advance, had originally been planned for May before the FIFA Congress in Brazil. However, the governing body`s president praised Qatar`s commitment to use the 2022 FIFA World Cup to achieve positive social change.
FIFA said that the two leaders reviewed the achievements accomplished on projects related to the World Cup.
FIFA and Qatar would likely agree to reduce the original 12-stadium plan later this year, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi