Blatter `mum` over `Qatar losing out on 2022 World Cup` report after new bribery allegations
London: FIFA president Sepp Blatter is reportedly tight-lipped on whether Qatar could be stripped of the hosting rights for the 2022 World Cup over a new round of bribery allegations, which have been referred to its ethics committee.
Blatter confirmed that investigators from FIFA`s ethics committee would look into a report that former FIFA executive committee member Jack Warner and his family requested payments of more than two million dollars from his Qatari colleague Mohamed bin Hammam shortly after the World Cup vote.
However, The Guardian reports that Blatter said that he is not a `prophet` when asked whether Qatar could lose the World Cup, even though he previously insisted that the tournament would be held in the Gulf state amid continuing concern over the treatment of migrant construction workers and the climate.
The report mentioned that Warner later resigned from FIFA in disgrace, while Bin Hammam was banned from football for life after offering bribes of 40,000 dollars in cash to members of the Caribbean Football Union, although both of them deny any wrongdoing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Chikungunya outbreak in Delhi: Symptoms, tips to stay safe!
- Hal Shashti Vrat 2016: What is the significance of Balaram Jayanti!
- Good news for Vaishno Devi pilgrims! Shrine Board to announce new route soon - Know details
- Samsung's 1st Tizen powered 4G smartphone Z2 launched at Rs 4,590; comes with free Jio SIM
- All-new Hyundai Elantra launched in India, price starts at Rs 12.99 lakh