Blatter suggests 2022 Qatar WC could also take place in Iran
London: After revealing that several countries had offered to co-host the 2022 World Cup with Qatar, Sepp Blatter has admitted that he is open to the possibility of staging the event in more than one Gulf nation.
According to The Independent, with a formal decision still to be made over whether it will be staged in the winter, Blatter also indicated that his preference is to start it in November or December rather than January or February.
Blatter said that he had just passed through Iran, and even on a political level, people had told him that they would be happy to host some of the matches.
He added that the UAE would also be very eager but the first step would be to see how it could be played in November-December.
Blatter`s comments came before he watched Nigeria beat Mexico in last night`s Under-17 World Cup final in Abu Dhabi and 24 hours before he travels to Doha to meet the Emir of Qatar to discuss the scandal over the alleged mistreatment of foreign workers building the infrastructure necessary for the country to host the World Cup, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed